Social-emotional skills are essential for connecting with others! They help us manage our emotions, build healthy relationships, and feel empathy.
Starting from birth, babies learn who they are by how they are treated. Loving relationships provide young children with a sense of comfort, safety and confidence. They teach young children how to form friendships, communicate emotions and deal with challenges.
Support your child’s social-emotional development every day, here’s a short list of ideas:
- Take time to play with your child every day.
- Use positive redirection to address your child’s inappropriate behavior.
- Use positive comments and language.
- Establish consistent, age-appropriate mealtime and bedtime routines.
- Encourage your child to try new things. Help them see what they are capable of. Let your child know you are pleased with their accomplishments.