Opportunities & Challenges
Being a parent is exciting and full of joyful opportunities. It can also be challenging! And, of course, children don’t come with instructions. While we do not have all the answers, we can assist you and help make the challenging times a little easier.
As your child’s needs change with age, use this website and information in the resources to help you care for your child.
The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Division of Early Childhood (DEC) supports the healthy growth and development of children in Maryland throughout their early years, from the prenatal period through age 8.
The Healthy Beginnings calendar is full of helpful information and resources for new parents, including information about developmental milestones, as well as programs and services that support both parents and their young children.
Maryland Expands Child Care Scholarship Program to Provide Affordable Child Care to More Families
New Rate Changes and Reimbursement Rates Benefit Families and Providers The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) announced today the expansion of its Child Care Scholarship Program’s eligibility requirements and value to support more parents in paying for the high cost of child care. MSDE has raised the income requirements…
Tips for Choosing Quality
Are you looking for child care? If so, this short video series from Maryland EXCELS is for you. Learn about the most important how-tos for choosing a quality early education program in Maryland. Then you’ll be ready to select the right program for your child through the Maryland EXCELS…
3 Ways to Help Young Children Respect and Accept Diversity
Encouraging friendships and social interactions among all the diverse young children in your classroom is more important than ever. Studies show that the roots of bullying take hold in early childhood, during the critical first years of attitude development. The message is clear: To reduce the high incidence of bullying…
- LOCATE: Child Care – A free and confidential referral service that will help you find the best child care for your family.
- Money4ChildCare.com – The Child Care Scholarship (CCS) (formerly known as Child Care Subsidy) Program provides financial assistance with child care costs to eligible working families in Maryland.
- Fatherhood.gov – A site for fathers looking for tips, hints, and even deals for dads and kids.
- ChildWelfare.gov – promotes the safety, permanency, and well-being of children, youth, and families by connecting child welfare, adoption, and related professionals as well as the public to information, resources, and tools covering topics on child welfare, child abuse and neglect, out-of-home care, adoption, and more.
- CDC.gov – the nation’s health protection agency, working 24/7 to protect America from health and safety threats, both foreign and domestic. CDC increases the health security of our nation.
- MarylandFamiliesEngage.org – A MSDE site packed with activities and resources for parents and child care providers.
Our monthly e-newsletter provides parenting and child development information for parents and caregivers of Maryland’s youngest learners.
2022 Editions: January February March April May June July
August September October
2021 Editions: February March April May June July August September October November December
Ediciones en español: febrero septiembre octubre noviembre diciembre enero 2022